- Internet Connection — Prior to the start of the course, ensure that you have Internet access either via modem and phone line or a direct network connection (highly recommended to have high speed BROADBAND access)
- An e-mail account — For sending and receiving electronic mail via the Internet
In order to access all components of the course, including multimedia files, pdf and word documents, video and audio clips, you must make sure that your computer has the following programs. Many of the programs, can be downloaded for free by following the links below.
- Web Browser-- Firefox 3.0 is highly recommended and preferred however, Google Chrome, Safari or Internet Explorer 9.0 or higher versions (these are free downloadable programs) will also work.
- Document Viewer — Many of the documents that are used in courses use Adobe Acrobat format (.pdf) and some of the documents used in courses will be from the Microsoft Office suite. You will want to:
- Adobe Flash Player — Many courses have multimedia animations created using Adobe Flash that require you to have the Flash and Shockwave Plug-in on your computer (You probably have it already if you have a modern machine)
- Other Media Player — Most courses might require the use of a media player, Windows Media Player, Quicktime or Real Player. (get the latest versions)
- Document Editor — Some courses require that you create your assignments using a word processor like MS Word. If you don't have this, you can download Open Office. This allows you to view and edit MS Office files, and is available free of cost for Windows and non-Windows computers. Be aware the download may take up to an hour.
Hardware Requirements (minimum)
Power PC, G3 233 MHz machines or better
Mac OS 9 or higher
128 MB RAM (or more)
56.6 or better
Sound card and speakers
Microphone and earphone OR headset (preferred)
At least 40 MB free disk space
- IBM compatible Pentium II 500 MHz PCs and above
- Windows 98 Operating System or better (Win 98 may not work with all course software
- 128 MB RAM (or more) 56.6 or better
- Sound card and speakers
- Microphone and earphone OR headset (preferred)
- At least 40 MB free disk space