Public-Private Partnerships (PPPs) mobilize private sector resources—technical, managerial, and financial—to deliver essential public services such as infrastructure, health and education. Acquiring and maintaining this expertise is often a challenge, but it is critical in determining whether or not public-private partnerships will succeed.
To be a global connector of PPP practitioners, providing opportunities for accessible knowledge and global best practices.
The World Bank Institute’s (WBI) PPP practice works with public sector agencies and partner institutions to identify and address high-priority needs for learning on PPPs. Specifically, to help:
- Establish legal, regulatory, and institutional frameworks for PPPs
- Develop a realistic project pipeline and take these projects successfully to market
- Build the capacity of the public and the private sectors
- Evaluate and monitor the performance of projects
Our programs combine face-to-face activities, video conferences, and e-learning programs to maximize effectiveness.
Our Program Includes:
Knowledge Exchange through Practitioner Networks
- PPP Days: An established global forum where public sector PPP practitioners exchange knowledge, innovations, and new developments.
- Regional PPP Practitioner Networks: We convene regular practitioner meetings in both Francophone and Anglophone Africa, and are developing practitioner forums in Asia, the Caribbean, Eastern Europe, and the Mediterranean.
- Global PPP Network: An online platform for practitioners to share with and learn from global and regional experts and peers in sectors such as transport, energy, water and sanitation, telecommunications, extractive industries, water resources, health, and education. Join the network at www.pppnetwork.info and download our postcard with more information.
- Rapid Response for Just-in-time Information Sharing: Events focusing on specific issues and challenges, provide a space for practitioners to share their knowledge and expertise. Recent offerings were delivered for India and Thailand.
- Global Learning Resources for PPPs: Draw on the collective experience of multilateral development banks and are used to strengthen courses delivered by national and regional partners.
- Regional Training Programs: Deliver training with global content for PPP professionals.
PPP Solutions Series
PPP Solutions notes provide practical analysis and descriptions of new or emerging approaches in finance, regulation, legal and market structuring, contract and transaction design, policy frameworks, and environmental and institutional sustainability of PPPs. The series of practitioner-focused notes is sponsored by the World Bank Institute’s PPP team and the World Bank Group’s Global Expert Team on PPPs.
WBI Brochure: Focus on Public-Private Partnerships (PDF 431 KB)