Cities are a major source of carbon emissions. But they are also commercial and technological hubs that can drive a low carbon economy. This dialogue will showcase best practices of cities in scaling up mitigation actions and creating low or even zero carbon cities.
Read an article on the dialogue.
Watch a video summary of the global dialogue that took place on July 28, 2011. For a copy of the entire session, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Topics will include:
- Cities' contribution to carbon emissions and climate change.
- Cities' role in transition to a low carbon economy, and the policy and regulatory tools available to cities in this regard.
- Experiences with scaling up renewable energy and energy efficiency initiatives within cities.
- Finance and investment issues in mitigation actions by cities, including carbon market mechanisms.
- Public transport investments and urban density.
- Role of leadership in driving urban agendas.